Hewlett-Packard (HP) is a US company, based in Palo Alto, California that manufactures computers, printers, scanners, and many other related computer hardware and peripherals.
It was founded in 1939, and today, it has over 50,000 employees. HP has offices all over the world and is considered one of the leaders in this field.
Even if you may not be a user of HP printers at the moment, chances are high that you will become one someday, so be sure to read this article. You will learn how to connect your printer to Wi-Fi step by step.
Depending on what model of printer and router you have, connecting to Wi-Fi can be done in several ways. In the following chapters, we have described, in detail, those that are most used, and they are:
- Connect using a wireless setup wizard
- Connect using HP Smart app
- Connect using Wi-Fi Protected Setup
- Connect using Wi-Fi Direct
Connect the Printer Using the Wireless Setup Wizard
You can connect an HP printer to a Wi-Fi network using the Wireless Setup Wizard from the printer’s control panel. This type of establishing connection works if your printer has a display/touchscreen.
- You must place the printer near your Wi-Fi router.
- In the printer control panel, first select the Settings, Network, or Wireless Settings, and then open the Wireless Setup Wizard.
- Find and select your network name, and enter the password to connect.
That’s the whole process, your printer should be connected to your Wi-Fi.
How to Connect an HP Printer to Wi-Fi Using Wireless Setup Wizard
How to Connect an HP Printer to Wi-Fi Using HP Smart app
To do this, follow these steps:
- At the very beginning, your mobile phone or computer and printer must be placed near the Wi-Fi router.
- You need to turn on the Wi-Fi on your phone or computer, and then connect to your network.
- For HP Smart to detect the printer during setup, Bluetooth must be enabled on the mobile device or computer.
- After installing HP Smart for iOS and Android, the mobile location service must be enabled, and you have to give permission to the application to use your location so that it can detect the printer and offer specific solutions during setup.
Depending on which operating system your device has, you can download the HP Smart application:
- For Android, Apple iOS, iPadOS – 123.hp.com (also Play Store and App Store)
- For Windows – with HP Smart – Microsoft Store
- For macOS – from the HP Smart – Mac App Store
In order to use the application on multiple devices, you may be asked to log in with Microsoft.
During the initial app installation, you will need to create or log in to your HP account before you can use all the features of the printer.
In the HP Smart, you will find the Add a printer option. You need to click on it or on the plus sign. This action will search for the printer. Follow the remaining instructions to complete the final steps in the settings.
How to Connect an HP Printer to Wi-Fi Using HP Smart App (iOS Devices)
How to Connect an HP Printer to Wi-Fi Using HP Smart App (Windows 10 Devices)
How to Connect an HP Printer to Wi-Fi Using HP Smart app (Android Devices)
Connect the Printer Using Wi-Fi Protected Setup (Printers With and Without a Touchscreen)
In order to connect your HP printer to a Wi-Fi network using this method, your router must have a WPS button. (not all routers have it).
The first thing you need to do is place the printer near the router.
Next, set your printer to WPS connection mode:
- For the largest number of printers that do not have a touchscreen with a control panel, do this as follows – Press and hold the Wireless button for at least 5 seconds (after which the wireless light starts blinking).
- How to Connect LG TV to Wi-Fi Without Remote?
- How to Connect a Landline Phone to a Modem?
- How to Connect Router to Telephone Line?
- For models such as Tango printers, HP Deskjet 6000, HP Deskjet 6400, ENVI 6000, and ENVI 6400 – Press and hold the power button and Wi-Fi button on the back of the printer for at least 5 seconds (the blue bar will start flashing).
Within two minutes, to start the connection process, you need to press and hold the WPS button on the router. When you notice that the wireless light or ribbon on the printer has stopped blinking, the process is complete. The printer is now connected to the network.
How to Connect an HP Printer to Wi-Fi Using WPS Button
How to Connect an HP Printer to Wi-Fi Using Wi-Fi Direct
- Turn on your HP printer.
- On your computer, click the start option, type Printers and scanners, and then select the result.
- Select the Add a printer or scanner option.
- Now, you need to click on the option Show Wi-Fi Direct printers.
- From the list of detected printers, select a printer with the name that starts with DIRECT and continue with your printer model. Then, click Add Device.
- Your computer will now be prompted for a WPS PIN. You will find this PIN on the printer control panel (it can also be on the datasheet printed during setup).
- Note that you have 90 seconds to enter your PIN. After entering the pin, click Next to complete the connection.
- Windows will complete the installation, and your printer will be added to the list of available printers
This method works on Windows, macOS, iOS/iPadOS, Android, and even Chromebook devices.
How to Connect an HP Printer to Wi-Fi Using Wi-Fi Direct (iOS)
We are sure that this article was helpful to you. As you could see, connecting printers to Wi-Fi is not complicated and can be done in no time. Visit RouterCtrl.com for more useful tutorials.
Hey, I’m Jeremy. I hold a bachelor’s degree in information systems, and I’m a certified network specialist. I worked for several internet providers in LA, San Francisco, Sacramento, and Seattle over the past 21 years.
I worked as a customer service operator, field technician, network engineer, and network specialist. During my career in networking, I’ve come across numerous modems, gateways, routers, and other networking hardware. I’ve installed network equipment, fixed it, designed and administrated networks, etc.
Networking is my passion, and I’m eager to share everything I know with you. On this website, you can read my modem and router reviews, as well as various how-to guides designed to help you solve your network problems. I want to liberate you from the fear that most users feel when they have to deal with modem and router settings.
My favorite free-time activities are gaming, movie-watching, and cooking. I also enjoy fishing, although I’m not good at it. What I’m good at is annoying David when we are fishing together. Apparently, you’re not supposed to talk or laugh while fishing – it scares the fishes.