Netgear’s Orbi mesh Wi-Fi system is quite good because it provides seamless wireless coverage in the entire home. It’s a great solution for larger homes or smaller businesses that need a strong connection in every corner.
To understand why Orbi satellite is not connecting to router, we need to discuss what mesh Wi-Fi is and how to set up an Orbi satellite properly. Finally, we’ll discuss how to fix the Orbi satellite that’s not connecting to the router.
What Is Mesh Wi-Fi?
Mesh Wi-Fi is a wireless networking system where the wireless signal is equally distributed throughout the entire home. There are quite a few Wi-Fi mesh systems on the market at the moment, and one of them is Netgear’s Orbi.
The Wi-Fi mesh network works usually with one router connected to the modem for internet access and one or more satellites connected to the router evenly spread throughout the home. The satellites work similar to range extenders.
However, unlike the range extender that takes the Wi-Fi signal from your router and broadcasts it as a different wireless network, the satellites broadcast the same network. The satellites are in constant communication with each other and the router.
They amplify the signal, and it’s the same network name wherever you are in your home. They can communicate wirelessly and via ethernet cables. Using ethernet cables to connect them allows for a smoother wireless connection because they’re not using Wi-Fi to communicate.
How to Set Up Orbi Satellite?
When an Orbi satellite is not connecting to the router, something might have gone wrong during the setup. That’s why it’s always important to be detailed when setting things up. With proper setup we can avoid many issues. So, to set up your Orbi mesh Wi-Fi you need to:
- Get the Orbi app. You can download it from www.orbi-app.com.
- You need to Sign Up for an account with Netgear.
- Once you do that, you need to log in, and tap on the Get started prompt.
- There’s a QR code on the base of your Orbi router.
- Enable your camera to scan the code and enter the type of product and how many satellites you’ll connect to your Orbi router.
- Next, you need to restart the modem, there will be three Continue prompts for each step of the restart process, locating the modem, unplugging the modem, and plugging it back in.
- Now, we need to connect the router to the modem using an ethernet cable for internet access.
- Once the LED becomes steady white, you need to turn on the Orbi satellites in the same room as your router.
- When everything is set and done, go to the Orbi app again and tap on Continue.
- Then, you can connect to your Wi-Fi network, and set up a new network name and password.
- After that, you need to set up a security question, and the router will check for firmware updates.
- Finally, you can take the Orbi satellites to the location you prefer, and that’s it.
Appropriate Orbi Satellite Position
The main reason your Orbi satellite is not connecting to the router might be because it’s a wireless connection, and the satellite is in a bad location. It can be too far from the router, or simply in a secluded area of the house where the Wi-Fi signal is interrupted.
Luckily, Netgear made the Orbi Wi-Fi mesh system easy to set up and use. There are LEDs on the satellites that tell you if the satellite is in a bad location. So, if it’s too far, the LED color will be Magneta, and it won’t synchronize with the router. Amber is a fair connection, and Blue is the best connection possible.
So, you don’t have to worry about precise details when it comes to positioning the satellites because they tell you whether their position is good or not. However, you should mind the position of the router.
Make sure it’s in a higher position and away from corners of the room. Also, aquariums, mirrors, microwaves, baby monitors, and other RF (radio frequency) devices can disrupt or weaken the signal.
Why Is Orbi Satellite Not Connecting to Router?
If you’ve properly set up your Orbi Wi-Fi system, and it’s still not connecting to the router, there can be a few reasons including the ones we’ve already mentioned. The most common reasons are:
- Faulty satellite hardware: There’s a possibility that the Orbi satellite was damaged during transport when it was delivered if you had a new one ordered. In this case, you need to contact their store.
- Faulty router hardware: If the satellite is not damaged, then the wireless adapter of your router might be damaged. This means that you need to get a replacement from where you bought it.
- Power interruption: There might be a problem with the outlet your router is plugged into, or the one the satellite is plugged into. Nevertheless, try different outlets, or try different power adapters.
- Failed synchronization: You already know this one, and you know how to interpret the LED colors.
- Failed firmware update: Another reason your Orbi satellite is not connecting to the router might be because the firmware update didn’t go through. This can happen if there’s a power interruption during the update.
Orbi Satellite Not Connecting to Router Fixes
There are a few easy fixes when your Orbi satellite is not connecting to the router. We’re certain that the satellite will connect to the router when you go through these steps unless it’s a problem with power or it’s damaged and you need a replacement.
There’s a sync button on the router and the satellite. You need to press the one on the router for a couple of minutes. Once you do that, you need to press the one on the satellite for a couple of minutes, and it should work fine.
Orbi Satellite Factory Reset
Bring the satellite to the router and power it on. Use a paperclip to push the Reset button on the back of the satellite until the LED starts blinking white. This means it’s reset, and the firmware is probably up-to-date. You need to do the syncing process again.
Orbi System Reboot
It’s good to do a power cycle of the entire Wi-Fi mesh system. This means that you need to turn off the router and the satellites. Once you do, start turning them on with the router first. Once you turn the router on, turn the satellites on, and they should work properly.
Orbi System Reset
It’s a similar process to resetting your satellite. Use something like a paperclip to push the Reset button. The LED should blink amber and this means your router is back to factory settings. You need to repeat the syncing process after this.
Now you know what a mesh Wi-Fi system is, and why your Orbi satellite is not connecting to the router. This means that you can fix it. If none of the solutions above work, we need to contact customer support or get a replacement.
Hey, I’m Jeremy. I hold a bachelor’s degree in information systems, and I’m a certified network specialist. I worked for several internet providers in LA, San Francisco, Sacramento, and Seattle over the past 21 years.
I worked as a customer service operator, field technician, network engineer, and network specialist. During my career in networking, I’ve come across numerous modems, gateways, routers, and other networking hardware. I’ve installed network equipment, fixed it, designed and administrated networks, etc.
Networking is my passion, and I’m eager to share everything I know with you. On this website, you can read my modem and router reviews, as well as various how-to guides designed to help you solve your network problems. I want to liberate you from the fear that most users feel when they have to deal with modem and router settings.
My favorite free-time activities are gaming, movie-watching, and cooking. I also enjoy fishing, although I’m not good at it. What I’m good at is annoying David when we are fishing together. Apparently, you’re not supposed to talk or laugh while fishing – it scares the fishes.