The following article will explain how to login to a ZyXEL router using the ZyXEL router default IP, username and password. At the same time, while you are logged into the router you can take some basic security measures to secure your router and home network.
What you need
- ZyXEL Router
- Computer, tablet, or mobile device
How to login to ZyXEL router
In order to modify your router settings, follow these ZyXEL router login steps:
STEP 1: Connect to your home network
The ZyXEL router login procedure will fail your device is not connected to the home network. It doesn’t matter whether this connection is made via the network cable or wirelessly. Simply the device you use must be connected to the network in order to access the router settings.
STEP 2: Launch your browser and go to 192.168.1.1
The router settings or admin page can be accessed using a web browser. You just have to go to 192.168.1.1 by typing that IP in the address bar..
STEP 3: Enter the ZyXEL default username and password
If you haven’t changed the default ZyXEL router login details you can use the default ones to enter the router settings.
The default ZyXEL router login details are:
- Username “admin”
- Password “1234”
How to secure your ZyXEL router
Taking care of the security of your wireless router and wireless networks really important. One of the easiest ways to secure your network is by changing the default ZyXEL router password and the default SSID (Network Name) and Wi-Fi password. Other than that it is recommended to change the router default IP, and even set up a Guest network so you don’t have to share your Wi-Fi password with anyone.
Let’s go through the security steps one by one.
How to change the ZyXEL router password
- Login to your router as described above.
- After you login, take a look at the menu and click on Maintenance.
- Depending on the router administration interface select Administration, and then Aministrator. (or click on User Account after you click on Maintenance)
- Type the new password in the New Password field, and re-type it into the Confirm Password field.
- Click the SAVE/APPLY button.
You will be asked to login to the router again so make sure to take a note of the new password.
How to change the WiFi password and SSID on my ZyXEL router?
We have already said that in order to login to the router you need to connect to the network first. This is the reason why changing the Wi-Fi password is one of the security steps you should take as soon as possible. Let’s see how to do it.
- If you are still logged into the router proceed to step 2. If not, login to your router first using your smartphone, tablet or PC.
For older ZyXEL routers
- Click on Network in the menu on the left.
- Next click on AP in the top menu.
- Make sure both “Enable SSID Autogeneration” and “Enable Key Autogeneratgion” are not checked.
- In the Name (SSID) field type your new network name.
- Make sure to select WPA2-PSK int the Security Mode list.
- Also select TKIP/AES as Encryption.
- In the Pre-Shared Key field type your new wireless password.
- Click on Apply to save the changes.
For newer ZyXEL routers
- Go to Network Settings and then click on Wireless.
- Now in the Wireless Network Settings section, type the new SSID in the Wireless Network Name (SSID) field.
- Scroll down to the Security Level section.
- Select WPA2-PSK as a Security Mode.
- In the Pre-Shared Key field type your new Wi-Fi password.
- Click on APPLY to save the changes.